News: Is anybody shocked? Didn't think so.
As the holiday shopping season continues to heat up, the NPD Group has released a list of 2009's bestselling games (through the end of November) to Industry Gamers. The list is mostly made up of the usual suspects (Nintendo's big franchises, a Halo game, a Call of Duty game, a Madden game, etc) and six of the ten have been released in the last five months.
Here's the complete list of bestsellers, along with the number of copies sold:
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360) - 4.2 million
2. Wii Fit (Wii) - 3.5 million
3. Wii Sports Resort (Wii) - 2.4 million
4. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 2.2 million
5. Wii Play (Wii) - 2.1 million
6. Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360) - 2 million
7. Pokemon Platinum Version (DS) - 1.9 million
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3) - 1.9 million
9. Madden NFL 10 (Xbox 360) - 1.5 million
10. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) - 1.4 million
As you can see, the Xbox 360 version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
took the top spot. Even more remarkable, it managed that feat after only being on sale for three weeks. Likewise, New Super Mario Bros. Wii
was able to claw it's way onto the top ten after only two weeks in stores.
Both will continue to see hearty sales totals in December, but it's very likely that the complete top ten tally of 2009 won't look much different than this eleven-month preview.