News: NCAA Football 10 also debuts big.
The NPD Group has released their report on the bestselling games and consoles in July and, as expected, Wii Sports Resort takes the gold medal. The sequel to Nintendo's pack-in party game favorite came packaged with the Wii Motion Plus add-on and managed to sell over half a million copies.
The only other new title to make the top ten was EA Sports' NCAA Football 10. The Xbox 360 version landed at number two while the PlayStation 3 version landed at number 3.
Nintendo and EA owned the rest of the top ten as well with several older releases. Nintendo took spots four through seven as well as number nine with Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart DS, Pokemon Platinum
and New Super Mario Bros.
EA countered by claiming the eighth position with the Xbox 360 version of Fight Night Round 4
and the tenth spot with EA Sports Active
Here's the full list of the ten bestselling games in the month and the console sales numbers:
1. Wii Sports Resort (Wii) - 508,200
2. NCAA Football 10 (Xbox 360) - 376,500
3. NCAA Football 10 (PS3) - 237,400
4. Wii Fit (Wii) - 164,300
5. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 156,600
6. Mario Kart DS (DS) - 132,200
7. Pokemon Platinum (DS) - 116,400
8. Fight Night Round 4 (Xbox 360) - 116,400
9. New Super Mario Bros. (DS) - 101,800
10. EA Sports Active (Wii) - 96,800
Console Sales Numbers
1. Nintendo DS - 538,900
2. Wii - 252,500
3. Xbox 360 - 202,900
4. PSP - 122,800
5. PlayStation 3 - 121,800
6. PlayStation 2 - 108,000