News: Unsurprising? Disappointing? Awesome? You decide.
The NPD Group will release their list of the bestselling games in September later this afternoon. But first, the industry tracking agency has dropped a present on GameSpot's doorstep: a list of the ten bestselling games so far this decade.
Covering the entire time period from January 2000 all the way up until August 2009, the list includes few surprises. Coming in at number one is Nintendo's Wii Remote-wielding juggernaut, Wii Play. The minigame collection has sold over 11 million copies. The only other game to surpass the ten million mark is Activision's Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock. But unlike the Wii-exclusive Wii Play, Guitar Hero III had to be released on four platforms (PS2, PS3, Wii and Xbox 360) to reach an eight digit sales number.
Here's the full list:
1. Wii Play (2006 - Wii): 11.1 million
2. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (2007 - PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox 360): 10.3 million
3. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (2004 - PS2, Xbox): 9.8 million
4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007 - DS, PS3, Xbox 360): 8.5 million
5. Wii Fit (2007 - Wii): 7.9 million
6. Madden NFL 07 (2006 - GC, GBA, PSP, PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360)
7. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002 - PS2, Xbox)
8. Madden NFL 08 (2007 - GC, PSP, PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360)
9. Call of Duty: World at War (2008 - DS, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii)
10. Halo 2 (2004 - Xbox)
The NPD Group didn't release full sales figures for numbers six through ten, but it's probably safe to say that all of the titles on the list have sold at least five million copies.
While the list accounts for the first 9.75 years of the decade, the final four months could cause Halo 2
to lose its spot at number ten. Activision and developer Infinity Ward plan to release the highly anticipated Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
(the sequel to two games on this list) and it will no doubt quickly put up sales numbers similar to its predecessors.
We'll have more, including the NPD's sales figures for September, soon.