News: Also, Halo 3: ODST sold a lot. Shocking, right?
After a slight delay, The NPD Group has released their report on the bestselling games and consoles in September. Unsurprisingly, Microsoft and Bungie's Halo 3: ODST took the top spot with 1.52 million copies sold. While that is a far cry from the three million Halo 3 sold in its first month of release, it is still one of the biggest openings ever.
The remainder of the top ten yielded few other surprises as well. In the battle of the music games, the Xbox 360 version of The Beatles: Rock Band leapfrogged the Xbox 360 Guitar Hero 5 by 40,000 copies, 250,000 to 210,000. The Beatles played an encore in the top ten with the Wii version landing in the tenth slot for an additional 208,000 copies.
Aside from Halo 3: ODST, the big news in this month's list is the debut of the PS3 Slim. Sony's redesigned console, which was launched on September 1, helped push nearly 492,000 new consoles into the hands of gamers. In fact, it beat out the Wii and the Xbox 360 for the first time in a long time.
Here's the full list of the ten bestselling games in the month and the console sales numbers:
1. Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360) - 1,520,000
2. Wii Sports Resort (Wii) - 442,900
3. Madden NFL 10 (Xbox 360) - 289,600
4. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS) - 258,100
5. The Beatles: Rock Band (Xbox 360) - 254,000
6. Madden NFL 10 (PS3) - 246,500
7. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 (Xbox 360) - 236,000
8. Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3) - 212,500
9. Guitar Hero 5 (Xbox 360) - 210,800
10. The Beatles: Rock Band (Wii) - 208,601
Console Sales Numbers
1. Nintendo DS - 524,900
2. PlayStation 3 - 491,800
3. Wii - 462,8000
4. Xbox 360 - 215,400
5. PSP - 190,400
6. PlayStation 2 - 146,000